Friday, September 09, 2005

Life

Life is crazy sometimes. The past few weeks have taught me a lot about life. I can't really explain it, but it's true. It's been a good learning process. Occasionally I am amazed by the fact that no matter what, life always has something to show me. I know that "life" is a big, broad, unfathomable (at times) word. That's why I'm using it.

Tonight I am amazed at the miracle of life. I spent a few hours holding my precious newest niece who was born Tuesday night, and I rejoice in the miracle. God is good. He allows such beauty and innocence to flower in the darkness and violence that is our world. Through the tragedy and the heartache and the brokenness that is life in a fallen world, he brings the majesty of new life. I am amazed.

Also, I have come to the realization (over the past few months, but emphasized even more this week) that I do not have the time or the energy to harbor anger and resentment toward people. Life is too short. I need the energy for other, more productive, purposes. So I have been learning to let things go. I can't change people. I can't make them have better attitudes or be more attentive to my feelings or leave their addictive habits behind...all I can do is pray for them and then change myself. I can change my attitudes. I can love unconditionally. I can be accepting and not judgmental. I can learn to accept people as they are and not as I wish they would be. When they offend me, I can take the high road and let it go. When I feel slighted, I can think the best of them and let it go. When old hurts surface, I can remind myself that I let it go a long time ago. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

So...life is crazy, yes. Crazy, but good. Life is good because God is good.

No comments: