Monday, December 26, 2005

all over but the memories

I hope everyone had a wonderfully blessed Christmas! I certainly did!

On Christmas morning, we had an early service at church, and it was AMAZING! I think it is only natural and right to worship God on the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus!

There were many different aspects of the worship that were a blessing to me. First of all, Mark Cook (Gene Cook's brother, William Cook's son) was there and played his saxaphone for two special songs. At the very beginning of the service, he played "Mary Did You Know?" which is an amazing song, especially when played by an expert on an alto sax! It just set the tone for the entire service, which was worshipful and blessed by God's presence! During worship, we sang "He is Here." Did you ever think about that being a Christmas song? I never had, but when you think about it in the context of "Emmanuel -- God with us" it is incredible! He is truly and forever WITH US! And we can touch Him! Maybe not in the physical sense that Mary did, and the shepherds did, and His disciples did, but we can still touch Him! Then Mark played "Because He Lives" on his tenor sax. Again, I had never thought of that song as being a Christmas song. Another revelation! Because He had to be born in order to live and die, and it's Because He Lives that we even have a future and a hope! That's what it's all about!

Then the pastor preached a message and told a story. He told the story of Narnia and the children and Aslan. Of course, he brought out the fact that Aslan is a picture of Christ, and he talked about the Lion of Judah. I will never forget this quote: "When He cries in the manger, can you hear the Lion roar? In the submissive tones of a 12-year-old obeying His parents, can you hear the Lion roar? When He tells His mother, 'I must be about my Father's business,' can you hear the Lion roar? When he tells the woman, 'Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more,' can you hear the Lion roar? On the cross, when He cries, IT IS FINISHED, you can hear the ROAR of the Lion!" He also quoted the part in the book (it's not in the movie) when one of the children is asking Mr. and Mrs. Beaver about Aslan, because they have not as yet met Him. And the child asks, "Is He safe, because I will be nervous to meet a Lion!" And the Beavers respond, "Of course He's not safe! He's a Lion after all! But He is GOOD!" And when you are on the side of goodness and justice, you have no need to be afraid.

Well, that's all for now. I hope everyone's Christmas was as blessed as mine! I was privileged to enjoy the presence of God, and the presence (and presents...haha!) of my family! Seriously, praise be to God for His many blessings!!

No comments: